You never know when disaster could strike. At work, home or on vacation, emergencies can occur without notice and can leave you with very little time to react. This is why it is extremely important for the safety of yourself and your loved ones to be prepared for an emergency situation BEFORE it occurs.
Some steps you can take to get prepared:
- Know your Know your Risks. Be aware of possible weather emergencies in your area.
- Have a Communication Plan. Discuss with your family how to access disaster information, and how you will communicate with one another.
- Make Sure Your Emergency Kit is Fully Stocked and Easily Accessible.
- Prepare your Pets. Include your furry family members in your emergency preparedness plans.
- Practice Fire Safety Habits at Home. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Remember to test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Keep Important Documents Safe. Deeds, insurance policies and other valuables should be stored in a protected location.
For more information on emergency preparedness visit: redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies