Rose & Kiernan, an East Greenbush-based insurance agency, and The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG), today honored Atlantic Testing Laboratories (ATL) for operating without a lost-time accident for more than 2 million employee-hours. ATL hasn’t had an occupational injury or illness involving days away from work since September 2007.
The two companies recognized their client’s achievement by presenting ATL with the National Safety Council’s two-million hour recognition certificate.
ATL, based in Canton with 10 offices throughout New York State, provides testing and other professional services to architectural, engineering, commercial, and industrial clients; contractors; and federal, state, and local government entities. The company’s services are designed to meet an extensive scope of technical requirements.
“ATL has achieved a rare accomplishment,” said Mark Dailey, CSP, Vice President and Director, Risk Management, at Rose & Kiernan. “ATL’s commitment to their employees’ health and safety provided the ideal framework for Rose & Kiernan and Hanover to deliver focused outcome-driven services. ATL’s senior management’s hard work and follow-through, has produced a result that makes all of us very proud.”
ATL worked with Rose & Kiernan and The Hanover’s loss control team to develop a plan with tangible outcomes, which included:
- Management commitment to employee health and safety;
- Dedicated corporate health and safety managers;
- Increased emphasis and proactive approach on planning for safe execution of projects;
- Increased employee emphasis on hazard recognition;
- Increased employee awareness of reporting near misses;
- Increased focus on safety training – especially for new employees
- Requiring OSHA Construction Outreach Training (10 Hr) for all employees;
- Improvement of the site safety audit system;
- Progressive discipline system designed to increase safety awareness and reduce safety related incidents; and
- Implementation of an employee recognition and reward system.
“ATL is committed to maintaining the safest workplace environment possible and is very pleased to reach this milestone with the help of Rose & Kiernan and The Hanover’s loss control team and most of all, our employees,” said Jim Kuhn, PE, ATL’s Executive Vice President. “Safety is more than just good business. It means our employees can remain in good health and continue to enjoy what is most important—their family, friends, and outside interests.”
“ATL should be extremely proud of this achievement, which would have never happened without its management team’s and employees’ strong commitment to safety,” said Michael J. Billings, Vice President, Loss Control at Hanover. “We were honored to collaborate with Rose & Kiernan and ATL to help make their vision a reality to minimize risk, prevent loss, and save money.”