As previously required for No. 2 Stone, NYSDOT now requires No. 1 Stone to be tested for Freezing and Thawing (NY 703-08 P,G) and 10-Cycle Magnesium Sulfate Soundness (NY 703-07 P,G). Additional qualification requirements are presented in NYSDOT Standard Specification, Section 703-02 “Coarse Aggregate” and Table 703-2 “Coarse Aggregate Physical Requirements”.
Additional Physical Tests Required by Section 703-02 and ASTM C33
• NY 703-11 P,G/ASTM C131: Los Angeles Abrasion
• NY 703-10 P,G: Minimum Unit Weight
• ASTM D4791: Flat Particles, Elongated Particles, or Flat and Elongated Particles
• ASTM D5821: Crushed Particles
• Table 703-3: Deleterious Materials
• ASTM C29: Bulk Density and Voids in Aggregate
• ASTM C40: Organic Impurities in Aggregate
• ASTM C88: Sodium Sulfate or Magnesium Sulfate Soundness
• ASTM C123: Lightweight Particles in Aggregate
• ASTM C142: Clay Lumps and Friable Particles
• ASTM C295: Petrographic Analysis
ATL’s Aggregate Laboratory is staffed and equipped to perform all the qualification tests identified in Section 703-02 and ASTM C33. We can collect samples locally or facilitate shipping from anywhere in the US and abroad.
If you have any questions, or would like to know more about our aggregate testing services, contact Bob E. Field, Laboratory Manager, at (518) 383-9144 or BField@atlantictesting.com.